The private mansion of the laird of Cromarty, it was built by George Ross, 1772, with stone recycled from the medieval castle of the Urquhart clan chiefs which he demolished for the purpose. Miller also wrote copiously about the eccentric Urquharts. The elegant Stables nearby, restored by Cromarty Arts Trust, houses a community of local artists, who rent the old stalls. The grooms’ quarters above are now an exhibition and conference centre.
Return now down the Castle Brae, and turn right on to the Reid’s Park Loop footpath.